2.14.2010

dreft=bullshit in a bottle (and other unecessary items)

This is the post where I impart my wisdom on the internet regarding baby items. Of course this is my opinion. But my opinion is always the best opinion. So listen up.

MUST HAVES:

Medela Pump In Style-this pump was my savior. I've heard about people getting horribly sore from pumping, but that never happened to me with this pump. Macie breastfed for 5 weeks, hated my milk like it was poison, and I kept pumping for 5 more in a futile attempt to reintroduce breastmilk. I was able to get 4 ounces or so per side per pumping session with this pump. Not that I have any previous experience with breastpumps. But still.

Swaddling Blankets- I do not mean the blankets that are actual velcro, pouch, meant-for-swaddling things. Nope. Those are crap. I just mean some nice, knit blankets. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Gerber waffle knit blankets. They're pretty cheap and cute and soft. And they stretch so you can wrap the baybee up nice and tight, preventing escape.

Multiple bottles- I did a lot of research on the best bottles (wasted time that I will never get back. But hey, I waste a lot of my time. So what's a little more?). It doesn't matter which bottle is "the best" or which "mimics breastfeeding" the most. It will simply come down to what your baby will eat from. Macie was a champ at breastfeeding. Digesting my devil milk, not so much. She also took a bottle well. As long as it was the correct bottle. She loves the Avent bottles now. When she was younger, the milk came a little too fast, despite the slow flow nipple. She also takes Breastflow bottles well. She never seems to be gassy from these. Playtex dropins are iffy. Second Nature bottles were the bane of her existence. She would not even wrap her mouth around them. I also like Dr. Browns. They are kind of a pain to clean though. I'm glad I bought just a few of a bunch of different bottles. I know people who purchased 20 bottles of the same kind prior to the baby's arrival. FAIL. I like to think I'm smarter than that (insert eye rolling here). Not. I just actually listened to some advice I was given for once.


Carseat head positioner thingy- I think ours is the kidoppotomus brand. At 12 weeks she doesn't need it anymore. However, even if your carseat has built in head positioners, you will more than likely need something else. We learned this the hard way with our son. We plopped him in that carseat to leave the hospital, only to see a sad little hunched over baby. Sad.


LOTS of sheets, changing pad covers, onesies and burp clothes- sheets get puked on all the time. Changing pad covers. You may think one is enough. Two definitely. Right? WRONG! Some days Macie poops or pees on that thing 3 times. You need lotssss. Unless you're awesome at catching poop. Then you might be OK. Me? Not so much. I prefer to just buy more things. Onesies are a staple. Plus they get stained easily because they're white. Burp clothes can be used for many things. Even if your baby doesn't spit up a lot, they'll still probably drool food all over themselves while they're eating.

Playskool GloWorm- I think the thing is kind of creepy looking. But Macie will just smile at it for hours. Figures.

A good playmat and swing- Macie isn't a big fan right now. I think she missed the memo about her being born, and how that means she can detach from me for, oh, 30 seconds. However, Riley loved these and I'm hoping Macie will eventually (like when she's 9).






Baby carrier or sling- Good Lord in Heaven, I would be dead right now if it weren't for the Baby Bjorn. This thing has saved my life. It is as if Jesus himself descended from Heaven to hand deliver this lifesaving device. Those first 6 weeks were hell. Macie screamed like 20 hours a day. The Baby Bjorn was the best thing to happen to me. I would have gladly traded food, shelter or my husband for it. Somedays it would only make her cry less hard, but hey, I was willing to take anything. And just when I thought I couldn't love anything more than the Baby Bjorn..I discovered the Moby. While it accomplishes the same purpose, I think the Moby is much more comfortable. It also allows for a bunch of different positions for the baby to be in. It is a TON easier on the back as well. I know not everyone is a Moby fan, but I absolutely LOVE it.


Sophie the Giraffe- oh.my.god. Please do not tell me blissfully ignorant husband how much money I paid for Sophie. K? Let's be honest. Sophie is a glorified dog toy. It's rubber. And it squeaks. But my baby is kind of like a dog. Slobbery. Chewing on stuff. Pooping where she pleases. So it works. It must, because Macie loves the darn thing. And I mean L.O.V.E. She's not really into a lot of toys yet. But Sophie she loves.




Wubbanub- What in all that is holy is that, you ask? Only the best thing EVAH, I respond. I'm not really sure how I came across them. I can't find them in any stores around here. So I ordered one. And then Jesus himself crafted it and delivered it to my door. With a chorus of angels and everything. Or so it seemed because that's how awesome this thing is. Well, it's awesome if your kid likes a pacifier. Otherwise it's pretty much useless. It just so happens that Macie lovessss her pacifier. The kid always needs to be nomming on it. My life will be pure hell when it comes time to do away with said pacifier. At this rate she'll be taking a bedazzled wubbanub to prom with her. Meh. I'm fine with it.


MUST THROW IN GARBAGES:

Dreft: This shit is expensive. And unnecessary. I probably have a unhealthy hatred for Dreft. But, such is life. I understand babies have sensitive skin. My son still does. We use All Free and Clear. No dyes, no fragrance. Plus, you don't have to sell your soul for it. Bonus! I'm sticking it to the makers of Dreft. I SEE THROUGH YOU! bwahaha. We don't use it in our household..and..and...my kids are still alive! And not covered in rashes even! WHOA!

Swaddle-Me Blankets- another scam. At least for me. I've heard some people rave about them (leading me to waste my money on them). Both of my children escape these within seconds.

Baby shoes- I know they're cute. Like, really cute. And Macie has a few pair. But, c'mon. They're really impractical. (I'm still going to buy them. bwahaha)

Bottle Sterilizers- boiling water???

Bottle Warmers- We simply use warm water. Orrrr...I have even stooped so low as to microwave a bottle. I know, I know. Sound the alarms. At least I feed my kids, right?

Ear Thermometers- Not for babies. But even for my 3 year old, I don't think they produce an accurate reading.


I'm sure these will change as Macie gets bigger. And, like i said, every baby is different. These are the things that have worked for us...so far.

I didn't include things like food, diapers, clothes. If you don't think these things are necessary, well, I really don't know what to say to you. Plus, everyone obviously has very different preferences for these things. And you probably don't care what I do/use (this is assuming you care about the other stuff I just forced down your throat).


And just because I love this picture of Riley:

1 comment:

  1. The Bjorn has been my lifesaver, too!!! Love, love, love it. The moby is a pain in the ass for me because I'm super short, and it's so long. It takes me like 029384023984 hours to tie it right. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete